Oil level

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlouVark

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Anybody with a 1150GS will tell you about the sometimes inaccurate oil level "screen" but this is getting crazy now.

Saturday morning on my way for a ride, I first did my usual check of the bike & since the bike was parked overnight on the centre stand, the reading should be accurate. NO oil was visible in the oil level guage? I check it once a week & no way in hell could there be no oil. :shock:

I started her up on the centre stand & left idling for about 5 minutes & left again for 15 for another reading. Still NOTHING. Took a short 5 km ride to get some ciggies & parked her straight onto the centre stand. Now it showed about 1/4 full which is still not right. I decided to add about 500ml (5l bottle) & take a can with & check again at my first smoke stop.

Getting of the bike at my first stop I had a left boot that had been sprayed by oil & then covered in dust :twisted: & the guage still showing only 1/4 full. (oil came from filler cap)

I know it is equally bad to have either too much or too little oil in the engine, but is there some trick to the guage I'm not getting?

Latest posts